Maryland men’s soccer loses third straight match 2-0 to Rutgers

(Photo Courtesy of Maryland Athletics.)

In the 53rd minute, Maryland (0-3, B1G) received a golden opportunity when Rutgers (3-1 B1G) midfielder Thomas DeVizio was sent off the pitch with a red card for a hard foul.

Despite being up one man for the final 37 minutes of the match, the Terps couldn’t capitalize in a 2-0 losing effort in Piscataway. For the first time since 1992 and the first time in head coach Sasho Cirovski’s tenure the Terps have started a season 0-3.

“The effort was much better than last Saturday,” Cirovski said. “But the execution of the final third was really lacking.”

Maryland played better in the early stages of the match than the previous two matches, but Rutgers created some early chances.

“We asked our guys to get off to a better start and for the first seven or eight minutes we were very bright,” Cirovski said.

However, in the ninth minute Rutgers capitalized as senior forward Richie Barry scored a goal off a corner kick.

“They had one opportunity, took a soft shot, we bobbled it, and now we’re down a goal.” Cirovski said.

In the 20th minute Rutgers missed a golden opportunity to extend the lead as midfielder Pablo Avila missed a penalty shot. Maryland remained in the match going into halftime despite being dominated by Rutgers.

At the half, Rutgers had nine shots overall with four on target, while Maryland had just four total shots and two on target in the opening 45 minutes.

When DeVizio was sent off, the tides turned as Maryland was picking up momentum. Maryland controlled the ball and created more chances, with its best opportunity in the 60th minute as Brayan Padilla’s shot went over the net.

“I think we just have to be more lethal in there, ” Padilla said.

Rutgers quickly took advantage of Maryland’s missed opportunity. Redshirt sophomore midfielder/defender Nick Richardson picked up a yellow card just outside the box, giving the Scarlet Knights a free kick.

Barry once again scored this time on a free kick increasing the Scarlet Knights lead to 2-0. Rutgers had a chance to increase the lead even more as a penalty kick was given. However, freshman goalie Jamie Lowell denied Avila for the second time.

Despite tacking on eight more shots in the final 25 minutes, the Terps were unable to solve Scarlet Knights goalie Oren Asher.

“Throughout the whole 90 minutes, I thought the whole time gave everything they had,” sophomore midfielder Malcolm Johnston said. “Today just wasn’t our day.”

Maryland’s next opponent on the pitch will be against Wisconsin at home on March 7th.

“Nobody likes the position we’re in right now. But we file this, we move on, get ready for the next one.” Cirovski said.