No. 13 Maryland field hockey four-game win streak halted by No. 2 Iowa in 3-0 loss

(Courtesy of Maryland Athletics )

After 13 consecutive wins against Iowa in an entertaining rivalry, Maryland field hockey (6-4, B1G) lost to the Hawkeyes (10-2, B1G) for the first time since 1994 in a 3-0 shutout. 

Like Friday’s game the first half was scoreless with some opportunities for each side. Goalie Noelle Frost and the Terps defense kept Maryland in the game. Frost had three saves in the first half, as the Hawkeyes weren’t able to convert on their three penalty corners.

“They definitely came out with some revenge of course,” defender Rayne Wright said. “I think that they were looking for the long and strong balls, so it was for us to cut off and I think we could have done better on that. I also think we could have matched their energy a little bit better.”

The Hawkeyes took the lead in the third quarter when defender Anthe Nijizel lifted the ball over Frost off a penalty corner. The Hawkeyes struck again in the beginning of the fourth when forward Maddy Murphy hit the ball through Frost’s legs to give the Hawkeyes a 2-0 lead. 

Murphy’s first goal of the game forced head coach Missy Meharg to pull Frost from the game and add an extra active player. 

“This is new here for us in the NCAA because it is new in the FIH to play with 11 field players,” Meharg said. “I think you have to practice it. The difference between a 3-0 and a 2-0 game is tying it and winning it versus a very very difficult with a three-goal difference. So when they scored that second [goal], I thought we did a good job. I had taken out a player that was going to be the critical player to be able to take out their center back. I’m pretty risky and that’s what rules and tactics are for.” 

With 5:45 to play and an empty net, Wright threw her stick up and dove for the ball to deflect it and only keep the deficit at two. That desperation play helped keep it a two-goal game, but the Hawkeyes continued to attack.

“It’s just like how they always say follow your instinct,” Wright said. “When that girl was behind me, I just wanted to deny her any type of possibility of a shot or a goal so it was just what I thought was needed. I didn’t plan for it to happen, but I’m glad it did.”

However, the deficit grew when the Hawkeyes earned their seventh and final penalty corner of the game. With an empty net, Murphy scored again stretching the lead to three. With the game seemingly out of reach, Frost returned for the final three minutes of action.

The Terps offense struggled throughout the contest with just four shots total and one on goal. Maryland also mounted just three penalty corners with the Hawkeyes stifling defense.

Up next the Terps will return home to face Michigan at noon on both Saturday and Sunday.