No. 8 Maryland misses chance to cement its place atop Big Ten standings, scores late to tie last-place Northwestern.

Following a statement win after two late goals against Rutgers on Tuesday, Maryland looked to take control of the Big Ten conference standings against the bottom-placed Northwestern Wildcats without captain Malcolm Johnston, who suffered a head injury late in the win.

The Terps came into the game on a seven-game unbeaten streak, going 6-0-1 since their loss to Denver on September 2nd.

After a slow start to the half for both sides offensively, Hunter George handled a high ball off his chest and ripped a shot with his weak foot from just outside the box, missing wide left. 

The chance just 10 minutes it was one of eight shots for the Terps in the first half, with only three coming for the Wildcats.  

Maryland continued to control the pace of play, only allowing Northwestern one shot on target, but missed a chance off a corner with just two minutes in the half as Stefan Copetti’s header went wide. 

Heading into the break, the two sides were knotted at zero.

The first chance of the second half came after a William Kulvik giveaway fell to Bardia Kimiavi, but the midfielder skied Northwestern’s first real opportunity of the game, keeping the score level. 

The Wildcats kept the pressure on and capitalized in the 61st minute after Niklas Neumann’s save to deny a back post header fell to Christopher Thaggard, who put away the rebound to give the Wildcats the lead. 

Maryland responded with a barrage of chances following the opener from Northwestern, and eventually, Nick Richardson’s cross just 13 minutes later found a diving Copetti at the far post, who looped in a header over Garner to tie the game at one. 

The two teams traded opportunities late, but neither side could find the winner, and the game ended at one goal apiece. 

The Terps failed to clinch its spot atop the Big Ten after tying the Wildcats but will look to bounce back against another struggling team in Wisconsin on Friday.