No. 8 Maryland field hockey defeats James Madison, 3-0

Courtesy of Maryland Athletics

Three different goal scores powered No. 8 Maryland field hockey (8-4, B1G 1-3) to a 3-0 shutout against James Madison field hockey (7-4) Sunday afternoon. 

The Terps dominated James Madison, holding the Dukes to three total shots while racking up 24 shots of their own. 

“Obviously we want more of those shots to turn into goals, but 24 shots is a really good place to start,” midfielder Emma DeBerdine said. 

This was the first shutout for the Terps since their 4-0 victory against American on September 26. Head coach Missy Meharg also earned her 599th career win. 

The Terps came out firing in the first quarter, earning five penalty corners and taking nine shots, but they came up empty. 

The Terps best opportunity in the first quarter came off the team’s fifth penalty corner. The Terps had a flurry of opportunities taking three shots, but Dukes goalie Florien Marcussen saved all three shots upping her total to seven saves alone in the first quarter. 

Marcussen would then grab four more saves during two more quarters of action. 

“We knew their goalie was good,” Meharg said. “She was at Northwestern for four years prior…so we weren’t surprised by her stats.”

Just over two minutes into the second quarter the Terps finally got on the board. Forward Margot Lawn pressed the ball to the right side of the goal, drawing Marcussen out of the net. Lawn sent the ball around Marcussen where forward Hope Rose was waiting to deflect the ball into the net to give the Terps a 1-0 lead.

With her goal today, Rose tied with midfielder Bibi Donraadt as the team’s leading goal scorer with seven goals. Rose has now scored in three of the Terps last four matches.

With 2:19 left in the second quarter, the Dukes earned their first penalty corner of the match and first shot opportunity, but pushed the shot wide. 

Early in the third quarter, the Terps pushed the ball forward. DeBerdine sent the ball to defender Taylor Mason who sent the ball into the back of the cage to double the Terps lead. 

“We did a really good job attacking together,” DeBerdine said. 

Three minutes later, Donraadt reclaimed her title as the Terps leading goal scorer deflecting Rose’s shot off a penalty corner into the net to extend the Terps lead to 3-0. 

The Dukes defense made some strong defensive plays at the end of third quarter to prevent two more Terps goals. 

With under two minutes left in the third quarter, Donraadt sent the ball up the field to forward Mayv Clune who broke away from the last defender. Clune appeared to have scored, but Dukes’ defender/midfielder Rachel Yeager came quickly in support to clear the ball away from the net. 

With under 30 seconds left in the third quarter, DeBerdine passed to Lawn for an easy goal opportunity, but Dukes’ defender Kara McClure deflected the ball away from the net.

The Dukes would not muster another shot until the final three minutes of the game when Frost saved Dukes midfielder Caroline Cahill’s shot. The Dukes earned one final penalty corner, but the shot went wide. 

“I know they [the Terps defense] have great instincts,” Frost said. “I’m really happy that we are stepping up as the season goes on.”